Thursday, March 8, 2012

Gettin' Tracked

There is a big uproar in the media right now about digital privacy and tracking. People are uneasy about the idea of the Goog tracking their every move and selling that information to 3rd parties.

I am struggling to understand what the big deal is.

I get really annoyed at spam. I get really annoyed at junk mail. But I haven't noticed this online tracking resulting in significantly more spam. If anything the spam filters are getting better and better. I still get a little but not that much. The junk mail that the USPS delivers to my house every day is more annoying.

I get a lot of free stuff from Google. Hell, this blog your reading now is a service from google that I enjoy for free. I'm not opposed to compensating google with a little tracking info in exchange for all this free stuff.

Other than being annoyed by spam... I can't think of any material way that I have been harmed by all this tracking. Yet.

There is one thing that annoys me... I constantly have to log out of google in order to get proper search results. If, for example, I go to the YouTube site without first logging out of google; then youtube is only going to feed me videos that relate to my recent google searches. Sometimes I DON'T want my search results prioritised like that. So I have to log out.

No comments:

Post a Comment