Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Gettin' Hacked

My home network was recently hacked. I am only aware of the intrusion because I happened to be using the computer they gained access to at the moment they gained access. Their address pointed back to Spain, but they could have been anywhere.

My home network is connected to the rest of the world through a Motorola WiMax modem running on *gag* clearwire networks operated by Sprint. The modem is a Sprint branded device.

Let me say that again... the modem is a Sprint branded device.

I hate how all these networks brand their hardware. They don't make the hardware. They don't know about the hardware. But they sure know how to screw it up.

The Motorola CPEi 150 WiMax modem has a web-accessible interface with password protection. You can set the password to anything you want.

Sprint thought this would be too confusing for people. So they permanently set the password in firmware.

So if anybody would like to install a backdoor in my modem that will let them access my home network with ease... the password is MOTOROLA.

Thanks to Sprint, there is nothing I can do to change that. They won't let me. Bastards.

I called Sprint and asked for new firmware that would let me fix this. They said I would have to get it from Motorola. When I called Motorola, they told me their contract with Sprint prevents them from offering any customer support at all.

What the F--- has happened to customer tech support?

No comments:

Post a Comment