Saturday, March 3, 2012

Custom EDIDs

Is technology getting any better?

When I used analog video to a CRT I could get 1600x1200 resolution and it was easy. I could manually set the PC to output whichever resolution I wanted. The greatest invention was a piece of software that automatically reverted the video settings within 10 seconds if I didn't click 'OK'. Things were easy.

Now I use digital video over hdmi to a 5.1 receiver and a 1920x1080 flat panel. Better? The resolution is about the same, but the surround sound is nice. But the PC tries to automatically detect the resolution of the display. This fails of course since the receiver is between the PC and the display. But I don't get any failure message, the PC just reverts to some low resolution. No problem, I can just manually set the resolution higher, right? Wrong. If the graphics driver isn't SURE the monitor can do it, it doesn't even give me the option. No, I have to download the ID file from the display to my hard drive and then manually override the detected monitor with the saved file. It took me twice as long just to EXPLAIN that situation.

The thing is... the software has a million options and can do just about anything. But GUIs don't exist for any of it. I have to find manuals, read them, and use command-line options to implement them. Why do they make me work so hard? Where are the GUIs? Grrrr

No comments:

Post a Comment