Saturday, July 6, 2013

JavaScript Sucks. Here's Why.

I hate JavaScript.  It is ruining the internet.  So I keep it off.  Beware if you just updated to the latest version of Mozilla... they removed the option to disable JavaScript.

JavaScript can be used to improve the user experience on a website.  But it virtually never is.  Instead, JavaScript is used to load advertisements, track your activity, and add useless social media integration.

Something happened in the news today so I googled it.  I clicked on the first link, an article from Forbes.com.  The page took FOREVER to load on a fast broadband connection.  Finally I realized the reason: I had left JavaScript on.

This particular website from Forbes used JavaScript to exchange data between my computer and the following additional list of domains:

facebook.com
optimizely.com
rfihub.com
doubleclick.net
insightexpressai.com
viewablemedia.net
visiblemeasures.com
adadvisor.net
ajax.googleapis.com
questionmarket.com
content.ad
krxd.net
scorecardresearch.com
rfihub.net
simplereach.com
gigya.com
truste.com
facebook.net
media.net
servedbyopenx.com
cloudfront.net
adsafeprotected.com
forbesimg.com
mookie1.com
bizographics.com
moatads.com
exelator.com
googlesyndication.com
crowdscience.com
2mdn.net
chartbeat.com
mmismm.com
bluekai.com
atdmt.com
bkrtx.com
google-analytics.com

Thats THIRTY SIX different web domains that my web browser contacted and downloaded and/or uploaded data to, in addition to the original Forbes domain. 

All of that... Just so I could read a lousy article that was barely 6 kilobytes of uncompressed text.

Sad...

The silver lining of this story:  When I completely disabled javascript and re-visited that same website, the 6-kilobyte article still loaded.  It loaded fast.  And without JS.

Why the hell would anyboby surf with JS enabled?!?!

Too many people don't know better.









No comments:

Post a Comment