Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Cloud Backups

I would never use "the cloud" to backup my sensitive or personal data. Why are people doing this? It just seems like a bad idea to me all-around.

First of all, many user agreements transfer ownership of your data from you to them when you upload it.

Second, what are they going to do with your data? Sell it to advertisers? Divulge it to law enforcement? Police need a warrant to search my hard drive. They don't need a warrant if the cloud service just lets them in.

What if the cloud service gets hacked and my data is stolen? A service with gobs of data from thousands of people is a big target. My little ftp server is not.

What happens (as in the case of megaupload) if the service runs into legal trouble and my data is frozen, out of my reach... that sucks.

No i think i will stick with my personal, off-site ftp servers for backup. Cloud services are just trying to attract you, with the prize that you get to be lazy. And they get all your datas. not cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment